The Polyskope One pathogen detection method utilizes the rapid, sensitive, and highly specific Real Time PCR detection technology. This kit is intended to detect the “Big Three” foodborne pathogens responsible for the majority of foodborne illness and outbreaks: Shiga Toxin Escherichia coli (STEC), Salmonella spp. and Listeria monocytogenes. Our technology was designed from the ground up to be utilized in real world ISO 17025 food laboratories and in a wide array of food matrices, while maintaining a high level of specificity in order to reduce the number of false positives. Due to our novel enrichment and lysis systems, the Polyskope One kit allows the simultaneous detection of any, or all three, of the major pathogens in a single overnight enrichment, lysis, and PCR reaction. This directly results in a 3-fold reduction in labor, media/reagent costs, regulatory burden, sample prep, media prep, laboratory space required, disposables used, and equipment required while still delivering results in 24 hours.
PolySkope’s single protocol and shared enrichment medium also reduce the environmental impact of pathogen testing by eliminating two-thirds of plastic disposables required to test, and by reducing the energy consumed by multiple incubators at different temperatures. High-throughput labs adopting PolySkope kits can expect up to 0.74 metric ton reductions in plastic waste and 0.61 metric ton reductions in CO2 generated annually, per facility (100 samples daily).
- Lysis Buffer for DNA extraction from sample
- PCR Amplification Mix (Master Mix)
- Fluorescent probes specific to each virulence factor target (E. coli STEC, Salmonella spp., & Listeria mono.
- Positive and Negative PCR Controls
- Lysis plate and pierceable plate cover (96-Well format)
- PCR plate & optical grade plate cover (96 Well format)
Total list price per test: $3.23
Some of the advantages of PolySkope One are:
- 3 fold reduction in enrichment media and incubator space required (single enrichment)
- 3 fold reduction in labor
- 3 fold reduction in prep time
- 3 fold reduction in assay run time
- 3 fold reduction in equipment required (pipettors, RT-PCR instruments, etc)
- 3 fold reduction in disposables required (pipette tips, enrichment bags, PCR plates, etc)
- 3 fold reduction in RT-PCR reagents
- Rapid (24 hours to results)
- High-Throughput (96-well format)
- Easy to use and open platform
3 – fold reductions in
- Enrichment media
- Reagent Kits
- Labor for media prep, inventory, sample prep and PCR analysis
- Incubator & lab footprint
- Equipment needed (e.g. pipettors, instruments, etc.)
- Plastic disposables required (pipette tips, enrichment bags, PCR plates, etc.)
- Energy consumption
PolySkope’s preferred platform is Thermo Fisher’s Applied QuantStudio™ 5 . This robust and high-throughput 96-well instrument is optimized for multiplex performance and reliability, a necessity in food safety applications.
The QuantStudio™ 5 platform brings additional efficiencies for customers with multiple satellite laboratories, chief among them remote run and data analysis on instruments from any PC, tablet or smart phone. Centralized real-time monitoring and data analysis further simplifies workflow, improves efficiency, and reduces the need to maintain redundant specialized analytical personnel at every facility.
Instrumentation is provided to PolySkope customers, free of charge, with minimum orders. Maintenance and service are provided directly by the manufacturer.
Quant Studio 5 brochure: Download
AOAC Performance Tested MethodSM (PTM) program (PTM Certification #041801)
PolySkope received it’s AOAC PTM certification in April 2018.
Currently Approved Matrices, as of April 2018
Ready-to-eat (RTE) turkey (25 g)
Baby spinach (25g)
raw ground beef (25g)
Stainless steel (4”x4” sponge)
The PolySkope One method allows the simultaneous detection of E.coli O157 STEC, Salmonella spp. and Listeria monocytogenes in food products previously enriched by culture in Polyskope Multiplex Enrichment Media (PMEM). It includes the following 4 main steps: 1) sample enrichment; 2) DNA extraction; 3) PCR and 4) data analysis and interpretation. We have tested Polyskope 1.0 in several matrices such as spices, fresh cheese, dairy, ready-to-eat deli meat, smoked salmon and peanut butter to demonstrate the wide range of efficacy of our assay.
We have also conducted a number of validation studies designed to compare the efficacy of Polyskope 1.0 to the standard reference detection methods found in the United States
PolySkope is happy to add matrices, sample sizes, and targets to its AOAC Certificate for our customers via AOAC extension applications. Internal validations have already been performed on a large variety of food matrices. PolySkope welcomes validations in challenging matrices.
Internal validations already performed
- Whole Milk
- Brie de Meaux
- Smoked Salmon
- Peanut Butter
- Raw Eggs
- Black Pepper
- Chicken meat
- Marinated poultry meat
- Turkey ham
- Pork meat
- Ground beef
- Raw milk cheese
- Infant formula
- Frozen broccoli
- Pasteurized whole egg
- Whole egg powder
- Chocolate mousse